Thursday, January 08, 2009

COUNTDOWN TO "THE" EVENT OF THE CENTURY (?)


As I write this, it's January 8, 2009 and on January 20, 2009 - slightly less than 12 days from now, Barack Hussein Obama will be sworn in as President of the United States. At that moment, he will become - whether I voted for him or not (not) - MY president.

Is he Constitutionally qualified to hold the office? I suspect not. Is he temperamentally or in any other way qualified to hold the office? Not in any way that I can see. Is his presidency potentially disastrous for this nation and its citizens? There is not any way I can see that he can fulfill the oath he is about to take to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States", a constitution that I very much suspect he is ignoring in his lust for power.

All that being said, I hope that I am totally wrong about this callow incompetent pretender to the office and that he is so effective and so gifted as President, so successful in fact that I am filled with joy at the opportunity to vote for him for a second term. I think my hope is a vain one, but there you have it.

Unlike liberals, conservatives are for the most part optimistic people at heart. It's why conservatives are generally found to be happier humans than are our liberal brethran. And we're going to need every scintilla of optimism our happy little souls can generate in the years ahead. Personally, I'm hoping for Barack Hussein Obama to have a wildly successful presidency. I don't really see that happening, but I wish him the best. Not for his sake, but for the sake of my country.

God bless us and help us, each and every one of us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, my friend!

CDR J said...

I am so sick and tired of hearing about the inauguration. People are talking about it as if it is the Second Coming, or the Transfiguration, or a coronation of a king. It is merely an inauguration of a president. The US has had many of them - this will be the 19th in my lifetime. It should not be the big deal people are making of it.

Gayle Miller said...

Amen. See above.