Wednesday, March 07, 2007

THE ANN COULTER QUESTION

The ever-reasonable and intelligent Blogmeister weighs in on the Ann Coulter controversy.


“I have been a fan of Coulter for some years now, and admit that I will probably Continue to be one. Her style is not for everyone, and she has had her fair share of detractors well before now. But until the left denounces those on their side who make similarly outrageous comments, I won’t be shedding too many tears the next time Coulter offends.

Rhymes with Right wonders why corporate sponsorship being pulled from Coulter’s site is okay (and even encouraged) by the left, while boycotting of the Dixie Chicks by fans was considered unfair.”

I have to admit, Coulter sometimes makes me uncomfortable and I also believe that is her intent. Occasionally I think she becomes too enamored of her own reputation for outrageousness and goes too far. The fact remains that her articles and books are impeccably researched and footnoted, which is considerably more than most leftwing writers can claim they do. She has a clear vision of just how egregiously offensive the speech of the left has been and continues to be. That she has the brass ones to respond to them in their own language is something I’m not altogether sure many are willing or able to do, myself included (although I occasionally edge really close to doing so), she has the writing skills to make her points succinctly and the wit to use biting humor effectively.

What this whole kerfuffle has crystallized for me is the complete strait jacket being put on public discourse by those who are “offended” in some way. You know what, get over your damned selves and do it right this minute! My freedom of speech is absolute, stopping just before the point of yelling “fire” in a crowded theatre. If you don’t like what I have to say, you are perfectly free to say the opposite, nor would I deny you that right, although I don’t have any patience for profanity or the use of glib DNC talking points or jingoistic prattle. The English language is rich and varied and there are sufficient words available without resorting to offensive language. I find the use of it both tedious and intellectually lazy. Don't expect me to apologize for exercising my rights as a U.S. citizen - now or ever.

Our founders referred to many freedoms available in this Republic of ours. However, nowhere did they mention the right to be willfully stupid, the right to be ugly in thoughts and/or deeds, nor the right to be a big whiney baby. The Constitution and Bill of Rights haven’t been amended to add those rights so, I repeat, GET OVER YOURSELVES!

No comments: