Wednesday, March 28, 2007

THE PERKY ONE ISN'T DOING HERSELF ANY FAVORS!

I don't know if her own experience with cancer was somehow affecting her interview of former Senator John Edwards and his wife Elizabeth Edwards, but Katie Couric was - to put it mildly - way off her not-terribly-good-in-the-first-place game the other night. Her demeanor and her questions were frequently snarky, ofttimes inappropriately accusatory and in a tone that the Edwards both were gracious enough to ignore. This was one time when John Edwards looked really good by comparison - to his interviewer.


I have no doubt that Elizabeth Edwards is in for one hell of a fight. I have no doubt that she has a great deal to fight for - especially her two young children. I admire her courage a great deal. And I don't really have a lot of respect for anyone who politicizes her battle. How each person fights his or her cancer is their choice and theirs alone. And nobody has the right or the privilege of passing judgment, not even someone who has fought that same fight on behalf of a loved one. We all deal with the difficult challenges of our lives in our own individual ways. I don't know how I would react in a situation such as Elizabeth Edwards faces. I do know that I would resent like hell anyone telling me it was a choice I had no right to make or a choice I was making for perceived wrong reasons. I don't know if it was Ann Landers or Dear Abby who first coined the phrase, but here you go folks: MYOB works really well in this situation. Yes we can CARE and we can PRAY for those facing this battle. Certainly I will be praying for both Tony Snow and Elizabeth Edwards. I will NOT be judging their choices regarding fighting their illness.

No comments: