Tuesday, November 04, 2008


Here's the deal . . . I was at my local polling station at 6 a.m. and there was a line out the door and down into the parking lot. A ton of people. However, as soon as the doors were opened, the line was ushered into the school where we were divided into 3 lines based on the alphabet. From there, the process went smoothly, although I did notice a lot of minority voters giving up and leaving before voting . . . possibly needing to get to work and planning to vote later (good luck with THAT). Polls in Virginia open at 6 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. We of the infamous carpool stuck it out because voting after work is not an option. By 6:40 I had voted and by 7 a.m. the other carpool members had voted. And the ginormous crowd had thinned down to something more closely resembling normality. However, when I placed my ballot into the OCR reader, I was ballot 152. Joyce was the last of us to vote and her ballot was ballot 282. So they had enormous volume and handled things briskly. When I was leaving the polling place to get the car moved closer to the door for Joyce and Linda, I ended up talking to a very very nice looking man in a suit (tipoff to me - I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday - I KNEW he was a poll watcher) about how things were going in there. He kept trying to wrest details of problems from me and finally I looked him right in the eye and told him "There are NO problems! It's running as smooth as silk in there. If some people didn't WANT to stand on line for a few minutes, that's THEIR laziness. I'm 66 years old and I did it and if I can, most anyone can!" Pissant lawyer.

1 comment:

CDR J said...

I voted at after work (I got off at 4 PM, and the polling place is only 10 minutes from work). There was a little line, but it went smoothly.

Of course, I did see a guy at work who had two "I voted" stickers on his lapels. I suggested that he might be from Chicago, where the motto is "vote early, vote often".

(I am in Fredericksburg, not Chicago)