Monday, April 07, 2008



A Special Lady

R.I.P. Sue Miller, Age 83


I feel like the final link to my happy childhood has departed my life with the passing of my Aunt Sue Miller. She has been afflicted with Alzheimer’s for the past 6 years, experiencing the steady downward progression typical of the illness. My cousin Stuart took her to live in Mexico several years ago where the medical care for people with her illness is both more affordable and kinder. Until the past year he was easily able to afford 24-hour caretakers and when that was no longer a viable option due to her declining health, Aunt Sue was cared for with affection and gentleness in an excellent Mexican nursing home where she was visited weekly by a physician. She died peacefully after a short [physical] illness.

My earliest childhood memories revolve around the 10 acre “farm” on which we lived during WWII. We were very popular with all our family, due in no small degree to the 1 acre of garden we grew which supplied everyone in our extended family with fresh, delicious produce. In addition, we had about 40 chickens and everyone got plenty of fresh eggs every week. We also had a cow who provided a great deal of fresh milk and cheese, again to many family members. And of course, due to the amazing quantity and quality available at our small farm, we had lots of visitors. I mean, a lot of visitors! My Aunt Sue and Uncle Herb were newlyweds, both still finishing up their college degrees at Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio. But I remember how much fun I had with Aunt Sue when they came to visit. My mother was then in her “demon housekeeper from the bowels of you-know-where” phase of life so there were times she simply didn’t have the patience to deal with me.

Aunt Sue, for whatever reason, elected to be my buddy whenever she and Uncle Herb would visit. And Uncle Herb had the unique quality of talking on a child’s level, without talking “down” to the child. In my childish reckonings, that made them VERY special visitors.

Over the years I have so enjoyed both long and short talks with Aunt Sue and felt blessed when I had an opportunity to visit with her a great deal back in 2002 before her mental decline had reached any kind of crescendo.

She loved her family, she loved her Christian prison outreach, she loved the birds who filled her Vienna, Virginia back yard. And I loved her a great deal.

The picture accompanying this quiet remembrance is of her after the move to Mexico, with our family friend, the extraordinary Fred Reed. As you can see, although she wasn’t always sure who she was or where she was, these final years were happy ones for this extraordinary and beloved lady.

Rest in peace, Aunt Sue.


1 comment:

MsFalconersCabanaBoy said...

My sincerest condolences to you, Gayle. As hard as it is to let go of the people who had such an impact on our lives, we always come away with irreplaceable, invaluable memories to cherish.

May she rest in peace.

Walt