Thursday, August 27, 2009

TODAY WOULD HAVE BEEN IRENE SAVKO'S BIRTHDAY!

To my enormous sorrow, that beautiful and much loved woman died at the age of 58 in 1974. I still miss her. She was bright, funny, opinionated (if anyone wondered where it came from) and the best mother anyone was ever lucky enough to have. She taught me a lot, but not how to cook. No patience. My aunts and my father instructed me in the art of cooking. But from my mother I learned to appreciate good literature and pure-Lord crap literature. Her opinion was that you could learn something from everyone and everything - if not what to do, then what not to do. She was beautiful and loving and I loved her for every minute that I had her. And I've wanted her with me every day since she died.

I love you Mom!

4 comments:

B....... said...

I had not read your beautiful tribute to your mother. Glad I found it.......

Sissy Willis said...

A beautiful remembrance. Your mother done good in raising such a loving daughter. :-)

piano girl said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. We lost our mothers at about the same time & age. My mother died at age 54 in 1975 from a brain tumor. She was a force to be reckoned with, and I soon learned it was in my best interest to do as I was expected to do! She was bright and funny, and carried the weight of the world on her shoulders, except I never realized it until I looked back at her life from an adult perspective. Losing her the year I was 30 taught me so much about valuing life, and cherishing each birthday that came my way. I never minded turning 40, 50 or even 60 ~ I simply embraced what was beautiful about it and kept going. How my mother would have loved to see where my life has taken me in my musical career! Like you, not a day goes by that I don't miss both of my parents. Her birthday was Christmas Eve, and it's always a day that is tinged with sadness because she's not with me to celebrate.

Gayle Miller said...

I am fortunate that my best friend in Columbus, Ohio has a mother who also celebrates her birthday on 8/27. I always call her and make a big fuss over her special day and that helps me to feel, somewhat, that I am making a fuss over my dear mother's birthday - although she probably would prefer that I ignore it. She hated getting older. I don't. I love playing the "old lady" card!