Tuesday, April 17, 2007

DOES ANYONE ELSE RECOGNIZE THE STARK CONTRAST?

From the New York Daily News:

Virginia Tech University Prof. Liviu Librescu, described as a family man who once did research for NASA, sacrificed his life to save his students in the shooting rampage yesterday.

"When he heard the gunfire, he blocked the entrance and got shot through the door," his daughter-in-law Ayala Schmulevich said.

"He realized he had to save the students," she said. "That was the kind of man he was."

The hero educator was beginning a class on solid mechanics when all hell broke loose on the second floor of Norris Hall."


Would any of the blathering masses of leftist liberals in this country have done likewise? Somehow I don't think so.

But then, Dr. Librescu was a refugee from the Holocaust and from Romania. He understood the value of human life in a way the whining infants on the left never could! The only life that matters to most of THEM is their own.

Rest in peace, good and courageous man.

UPDATE: It is being revealed that there were more than a few heroes on Monday and that gives me some measure of hope for our nation's future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gayle:

I agree with you that this man was a hero, and I also agree that most liberals have batty ideas when it comes to a lot of things, namely politics. However, I haven't seen anything to indicate that this man was either a liberal, conservative or otherwise. Actually, I'm willing to bet he may have been a liberal, as we both know a majority of college professors lean left. But it really doesn't matter to me.

What I'm saying here is this: the man was a hero, and whether he was liberal, conservative or didn't give a squat about politics, I'm damned proud of him for giving up his life to save others.

God speed, Prof. Librescu.

Anonymous said...

I poked around to check, but it seems his politics, whatever they were, were secondary to his vocations: teaching and science.

Gayle Miller said...

Amd that's as it should be, paul.

Most of the "observant" Jews that I know, particularly the few Holocaust survivors I've met are like that, without in any way reducing their adherence to their belief in the teachings of their faith. My boss is an "observant" Jew, and a conservative Republican as well. He's also one of the nicest, funniest, most ethical and delightfully kind humans I've ever known. And a GREAT lawyer - one of the few who does not conform to the canards generally lodged against attorneys.